If you’re up for the challenge, Kent PD will supply you with all the information and resources needed to complete your application and training to become a police officer. It is extremely important that you carefully read through the information on our hiring process. For any questions not covered here, please contact Kent PD Recruiter, Officer Brian Cortinas at BCortinas@kentwa.gov.
KENT PD APPLICATION & HIRING PROCESS
We work hard to make joining Kent PD easy for interested candidates in-state and beyond Washington. Upon completion of all hiring requirements, passing candidates may be extended a final offer of employment and invited to attend Basic Law Enforcement Academy (BLEA) training, provided by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission. You cannot attend academy training in Washington without an offer of employment from Kent PD or another approved law enforcement agency (otherwise known as self-sponsoring).
Upon completing probation, all new officers receive a self-selected, guaranteed training opportunity to further their professional development (training must be in-state and job related, maximum $1,000 and up to one week, upon Command approval).
All uniforms, equipment and training expenses, including the cost of attending Basic Law Enforcement Academy, are covered by Kent PD.
Candidates must be at least 21 years old upon graduation from the police academy.
Candidates must hold U.S. Citizenship, or Lawful Permanent Residency.
Candidates must be able to provide proof of high school graduation or completion of GED.
Candidates must be able to obtain a driver’s license issued by the State of Washington within 30 days of an offer of employment. You may not have more than six points against your driver’s license in the last 36 months.
Candidates with "adult" felony convictions are not eligible for hire. Candidates with convictions related to domestic violence (misdemeanor or felony) are not eligible for hire.
Candidates must read and write in the English language. To better serve our diverse community, we are especially interested in candidates who are able to communicate in Spanish, Hindi, Farsi, Chinese, Russian, Ukrainian and other languages. Intermediate fluency is compensated at $100, and highly fluent speakers may be eligible for a 3% incentive!
Physical Fitness and Abilities:
Vision must be correctable to 20/20. Candidates must pass Physical Fitness and Abilities test to move forward in hiring process.
If you have a concern that something in your background would be a potential disqualification and is not listed below, please contact Kent PD Recruiting Sergeant Eric Tung at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Currently prohibited from driving a vehicle, by virtue of a suspended or revoked driver’s license, in Washington or any other state
- Uninsurable, according to the City of Kent’s insurance carrier standards
Potential: Possessed any illicit
narcotics within the last year.
Using illegal drugs while employed by a law enforcement agency at any time prior to applying with Kent PD. Participating in the manufacturing of illegal drugs within the past ten years. Participating in the delivery or sale of illegal drugs within the past ten years, outside of official duties with a law enforcement agency.
- Any felony conviction in Washington or any other state as an adult
- Any conviction of a federal offense as an adult
- Any conviction of a crime under a domestic violence statute that has resulted in your inability to possess a firearm
- Any requirement to ever register as a sex offender
- Any conviction for driving under the influence, physical control of a vehicle while under the influence, reckless driving, negligent driving, or hit & run within the last five years
- Any conviction for a misdemeanor crime involving deception such as fraud
- Any conviction for a misdemeanor crime involving the use of violence as an adult
- Any prohibition, by any law, from possessing a firearm
- Possession of child pornography or using the internet as an adult (18 years of age or older) to intentionally search for, and access, images or videos depicting minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct
- Any association or affiliation with any criminal enterprise, hate group, street gang, or any other group that advocates violence or discrimination against individuals because of their race, religion, political affiliation, ethnic origin, nationality, gender, sexual preference, or disability